data visualization, literature reviews, dashboard development
Power BI, R
D3.js, Python, R package development, the GRE
2017 - 2021 (Expected)
Rice University | Houston, TX
- Majors: Political Science and Social Policy Analysis
- Minor: Data Science
- GPA: 3.77/4.000
- Coursework: Statistics in Political Science (POLI 395), Statistics for Data Science (STAT 315), Election Systems (COMP 435)
2013 - 2017
Kickapoo High School | Springfield, MO
- Academic: NSDA Academic All-American, top 10% of class
- Extracurricular: Student Body President, NSDA National Champion, Debate Team President
- Honors: “Faces of Springfield Public Schools” Recognition, Hall of Fame Recipient
August 2019 – Present
Undergraduate Fellow | Religion and Public Life Program
- Assist in the writing of literature reviews for academic papers
- Edit, code and categorize interview transcripts for qualitative research
October 2018 – Present
Research Intern | Texas Policy Lab
- Conduct policy research used to inform government leaders and influence public policy
- Using Tableau, create interactive data visualizations depicting government budgets and public policies
- Compile relevant information for meetings with government partners in the Texas Legislature
June 2018 - August 2018
Research Intern | Baker Institute for Public Policy
- Helped create a comprehensive database of startups and accelerators in the U.S.
- Matched and organized 13,000 companies from a spreadsheet to public data using SQL and Excel
- Assisted in the strategic development of web crawlers to detect and classify the industry of a company
August 2017 - June 2018
Research Intern | Office of Mark Jones
- Using Excel, harvested historical information regarding members of the Texas Legislature
Hudspeth Award for the Best Undergraduate Seminar Paper in Political Science
- In recognition of “¡Vota! Testing the Impact of Spanish-Language Ballots on Election Results and Preferences.”
Second Place, Houston Centered Policy Challenge | Media
- Proposed a program which incentivizes homeowners in high-opportunity neighborhoods to construct ADUs & house voucher recipients
- Awarded prize money
First Place, Baker Institute’s Undergraduate Policy Competition | Media
- Award given in recognition of a 6000-word research paper and 20-minute presentation
- Proposed a new approach to Haitian food assistance, recommending unconditional cash transfers
- Awarded prize money and publication in the Rice Journal of Public Policy
First Place, Houston-Centered Policy Design Competition | Media
- Proposed an innovative multi-home buyout system in the wake of Hurricane Harvey
- Awarded prize money and seed money for implementation
National Champion, International Extemporaneous Speaking | Media
- Hosted by the National Speech and Debate Association, sponsored by the Council on Foreign Relations
Rothschild, Connor. “TPL Theme.”
A package which contains the tools necessary to create publication-ready figures in the style of the Texas Policy Lab.
- Rothschild, Connor and Maddy Scannell. “Addressing the Failures of Food Aid in Haiti.” Rice Journal of Public Policy, April 2019.
- Rothschild, Connor. “The Incarcerated State(s) of America.” The Rice Examiner 2(1):103-129, April 2019.
- Rothschild, Connor, Sarah Berton, Maddy Scannell, and Eric Stone. “¡Vota! Testing the Impact of Spanish-Language Ballots on Election Results and Preferences.” Rice Undergraduate Research Symposium, April 2019.
January 2019 – May 2019
Switching Gears | Final Prototype
I was the team lead for this project which aimed to encourage Rice students to regularly perform bike maintenance. We partnered with Rice Bikes, a student run business who sells and repairs bikes.
Our end product was an informational campaign which was comprised of three elements: a pamphlet given to students when they purchase a bicycle from Rice Bikes, posters around campus which include information on where Rice Bikes is and what they do, and a temporally coordinated email campaign which sends emails to customers on a timeline according to a regular schedule of bike maintenance.
February 2018 – April 2018
Undergraduate Design Journal | Final Prototype
In this project, my Design for America (DFA) team created an undergraduate design journal meant to explain the structure of DFA, its ongoing projects, and the design process. Our final product was the result of three testing phases, multiple iterations, and interviews with high-familiarity and low-familiarity users.
August 2017 – December 2017
Access Rice | Final Prototype
In this project, I worked with a group of undergraduates in Rice’s chapter of Design For America to maximize accessibility on Rice University’s campus via the human-centered design process.
Our semester-long project began by identifying problem spaces at Rice (structural, social, academic), leading us to tackle a problem space we believed to both impactful and feasible: the social scene at Rice. Following research, our team realized that event planners overlook accessibility as a consideration when planning events; accordingly, we sought out a mechanism to improve the proactivity of event planners in maximizing accessibility at their events.
Our finalized product was a checklist that ensures event organizers are proactive in considering accessibility at their events, making sure events have accessible entrances, proactive staff, and accommodation request forms, among other things.
April 2019 – Present
Chair | Social Sciences Student Advisory Board | Bio
- Manage team of 12 board members working to improve the social sciences experience at Rice
- Conduct semester- or year-long projects focusing on issues related to curriculum, accessibility, outreach
- Meet with and report progress to the Dean of Social Sciences
August 2018 – Present
Vice President | Baker Institute Student Forum | Bio
- Serve as a liaison between Rice’s Baker Institute and the undergraduate student population
- Coordinate effective campaigns to increase student engagement and improve membership
- Plan engaging policy competitions and student roundtables with notable policymakers
December 2018 - Present
Team Lead | Design for America | Projects
- Led a team of Rice undergraduates
- Coordinate team meetings, interviews with users, meetings with community partners
- Three-pronged final prototype received buy-in from Rice Bikes and RUPD
November 2018 - Present
Staff Writer | Rice Journal of Public Policy
Skills (in order of familiarity)
Public speaking & communication, human-centered design, project management, leadership
Licenses and Certifications
Intro to SQL for Data Science | DataCamp
MindWare: Critical Thinking for the Information Age | Coursera